Re: [fetchmail] Garbage in Return-Path causes 501 in MTA

2003-07-12 09:52:23
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:54:27 +0200 Matthias Andree
<ma(_at_)dt(_dot_)e-technik(_dot_)uni-dortmund(_dot_)de> wrote:

Robert Vazan <robertvazan(_at_)privateweb(_dot_)sk> writes:

I am using it now and it works. Thanks. It might still be nice feature
to handle such situations without extra local setup.

The question is: is this a "feature"?

Yes. It should be possible to disable internal processing to high enough
degree that fetchmail looks like mindless pipe.

Normally, the Return-Path: header is added by the software that delivers
the mail into your mailbox, apparently Exchange in your setup.

I tried to send myself such broken Return-Path by telneting to Smtp
server. I have been successful. Exchange is not the (only) problem.

Send yourself a mail with
( echo "subject: test" ; echo ; date ) | /usr/sbin/sendmail -f '<>'
YOURADDRESS

and check if that triggers the problem.

I tried some variations of this and none of them caused generation of
Return-Path.

Is this message still on your POP3 or IMAP server (Exchange, I presume)?
If so, can you obtain it verbatim by telnetting into the server and
retrieving the message manually?

The file on website is exact original that I got with TOP 1 0 command.
Unfortunately, I don't have the original message in mailbox anymore and
with this new mda setup I am not going to get similar problems anymore.

This is the offending Return-Path. There is nothing else unusual.

NNFMP; Aug, 12 2002 20:11:36 -0000