Re: [fetchmail] Problem - truncated messages

2003-07-21 13:08:47
I have noticed this same problem with 6.2.2 (no info about 6.2.3 yet),

Mine is: 6.2.0+IMAP-GSS+NTLM+SSL+INET6+NLS

I've done a bit more testing now.  Here are some of the things I've found:

The problem seems to affect all messages, not just those with images
attached.  It doesn't matter what type attachment it is, or how many, or
even if it's just a long plain text message with no attachments.  In all
cases, messages are truncated at around 80K.

I've tried sending a long message to myself(_at_)localhost right on the mail
server.  This message comes through fine, which shows the local MDA on the
mail server where fetchmail lives seems to be working normally.

I've experimented with stripcr and forcecr in an effort to see if line
endings may be throwing off the "<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>" EOM string.  This had no
effect.

I've tried placing   mda "/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -f %F %T"  into my
.fetchmailrc, thereby bypassing local SMTP delivery, and going directly to
the MDA.  This also had no effect. (Note that's the postfix version of the
sendmail binary there...)

In my case the message contained several image attachments, and the
received message was also about 82 KB.  It seems a bit unlikely that
our two instances would truncate at about the same point, if the cause
was just some random sequence of bytes in the input ????

My results also seem to indicate a problem with EOM is less likely to be the
culprit than I had originally thought.  If it were the case, the size would
not remain constant at around 80K, plus bypassing SMTP (remember the
sendmail -i flag) mostly rules out anything to do with the EOM anyway,
right?

Thanks for the reply.  Does anyone have any ideas of what I might try next?