Re: [fetchmail] fetchmail delivers all mail to postfix file

2003-08-28 18:18:09
Peter Guthrie <peter(_at_)unixplanet(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

I've just moved from sendmail to postfix. My fetchmail configuration
used to work fine, pulling emails via my ISP's pop3 server and
delivering them to my user account.

Since the change to postfix however they are all delivered into
/var/spool/mail/postfix

Taking your other mail with the log into account:

POSTFIX WILL NOT EVER DELIVER WITH ROOT PRIVILEGES. (root(_at_)localhost is
seen in the log you gave in the other mail). [well, there's a backdoor
outside Postfix called set-uid, but you'd rather refrain from that]

That's a Postfix FAQ and well-documented all over the place.

So add something like

   is "peter" here

to .fetchmailrc in the username part. Alternatively, use /etc/aliases (you
may want to do that anyway), add a line such as

root:    peter

then run newaliases.

Also consider adding a dedicated user for fetchmail and running
fetchmail unprivileged rather than as root user. In case something goes
wrong, only that account is compromised, not the whole machine. Such
caution will not hurt.