Re: [fetchmail] Re: 6.3.0 TODO

2003-10-12 05:14:38
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:

I know all about redblack, BTW.  Close to a year ago I showed Damian that
it should be implemented as a baby code generator rather than a library.
He agreed this was a better approach (it avoids a level of indirection and
ugly hacks with void pointers; also, you get to compile in the comparison
function for better performance), but he hasn't done a release since
then.

Could you forward your parts of the mail you sent Damien? I'm interested
in your thoughts on the code generator. And yes, his RB tree needs
effectively prevents const char * as key (I've seen this in leafnode).

The easy approach to make the stuff robust is split this up per account
and server and keep it in a ~/.fetchmail directory, and to make sure
it's never overwritten, but replaced atomically (write .new file, rename
into place).

That would be more sensible, yes.

Oh, one more thing: for local file systems, O_APPEND might avoid the
need to rewrite the whole file as well. I'll need to think about the
whole design, but don't hold your breath, I've got a lot of stuff in the
pipe.