Re: [fetchmail] Re: 6.3.0 TODO

2003-10-12 05:15:36
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:

Matthias Andree <ma(_at_)dt(_dot_)e-technik(_dot_)uni-dortmund(_dot_)de>:
"proto=auto" is a very bad idea, generally speaking. It may convenience
the user, but the concept is botched because the machine might fall back
to a POP3 server without SSL and send password in clear text or
something. automating authentication must not happen IMHO.

I could be persuaded to remove that feature.  I don't think anyone
ever actually uses it.

Makes me wonder if SuSE's YaST2 (system installation and configuration
utility shipping with their SuSE linux) uses it, but if so, SuSE's
problem for choosing insecure default in the first place.