Re: [fetchmail] How do you drop BC mail?

2003-11-25 07:14:07
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Andrei A. Voropaev <avorop(_at_)mail(_dot_)ru> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:52:46AM -0800, Mark Twombley wrote:

a lot of spam is sent Blind Copy.  No one I know directly ever
sends me BC mail, so I would like to just drop it before it gets any
further.

I believe this is the work for procmail and not for fetchmail.

I'd very very upset if such tricks were to be incorporate into fetchmail.
As Andrei points out the porper place for such things is with a
tool like procmail.

... I would
write a recipe that checks To and CC fields for my address and if not
found then dump that mail into /dev/null or some other place.

As most email sent by lists, including fetchmail-friends, normally do not
have the receipients address in the To: or Cc: header fields you'll have
to pass them through too. Blightly checking these headers is not
sufficient. You will need to check for lists. If it passes through all
those tests then it might be spam. Of course, it might be simpler to use
procmail and spamassassin, spambouncer, or something similar. But now
where far away from fetchmail.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!