[fetchmail]multithreading

2004-02-04 17:51:10
I am considering fetchmail as a component of a system that needs to support hundreds and maybe thousands of users, and it needs to poll their mail servers every two minutes.

Does anyone here have experience using fetchmail with similar requirements?

It seems that a multithreaded fetchmail would be ideal since it could poll several mail hosts at once, but the fetchmail design notes (http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/design-notes.html) say...

"Truly concurrent queries to multiple hosts

Occasionally I get a request for this on "efficiency" grounds. These people aren't thinking either. True concurrency would do nothing to lessen fetchmail's total IP volume. The best it could possibly do is change the usage profile to shorten the duration of the active part of a poll cycle at the cost of increasing its demand on IP volume per unit time.

If one could thread the protocol code so that fetchmail didn't block on waiting for a protocol response, but rather switched to trying to process another host query, one might get an efficiency gain (close to constant loading at the single-host level).

Fortunately, I've only seldom seen a server that incurred significant wait time on an individual response. I judge the gain from this not worth the hideous complexity increase it would require in the code."

--

 James Thornton
Internet Consultant, http://jamesthornton.com