RE: [fetchmail]I want to back up my IMAP folders

2004-02-29 02:37:21
-----Original Message-----
From: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
[mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Open Source Fan Club

1. I don't understand what fetchmail does to a full IMAP
folder tree. can someone help? i don't want my messages
destroyed or deleted but simply copied.

Then tell it so...  If you RTFM you'll find options that tell it to fetch
all items and to not delete anything.

2. I'd like to somehow back up my IMAP folders residing on my
ISP's server. Can I get fetchmail to forward copies of my
messages (old as well as new ones) through an SMTP server to
another account...or something better? I don't run my own mail server.

Take a look at the IMAP tools that come with recent UWash IMAP
distributions.  One of these is designed to clone IMAP mailboxes.

3. can I run fetchmail on my Win32 machine in some form,
although I do have Linux machine...?

It may run under Cygwin - trawl the list archive.

PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may be
ignored utterly.

--
Rob | What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?