[fetchmail]stupid n00b question about abusing multidrop

2004-04-12 09:18:43
I am trying to configure fetchmail to abuse a multidrop account.

I have a mail account at an isp mail.isp.com for 'barf(_at_)isp(_dot_)net'. A bunch of local user names get their mail sent there. Their rfc822 names are of the form 'name(_at_)foo(_dot_)com'.

foo.com has DNS done for it by some external hosting company. None of the equipment at my site is in foo.com. Instead, I have an internal DNS server that knows about foobar.com, which is my internal network. In particular, I want the users' mail to wind up in the spool on box1.foobar.com, which does not know how to get to the Internet.

box2 knows how to get to the Internet. box2 also knows how to get to box1.foobar.com.

I have tried a configuration like this:

defaults auth password  no dns keep limit 65535 smtp box1

poll mail.isp.com proto pop3
    user 'barf' with password 'secret' to
         'name1(_at_)foo(_dot_)com'='name1(_at_)box1(_dot_)foobar(_dot_)com'
         'name2(_at_)foo(_dot_)com'='name2(_at_)box1(_dot_)foobar(_dot_)com'
          .
          .
          '*'='junkmailbox(_at_)box1(_dot_)foobar(_dot_)com'

(The last line was my guess as to how I might define a catchall alias).

What happens when I retrieve mail is fetchmail says "no local matches, forwarding to postmaster" and all of the messages get sent to "postmaster(_at_)box1", even though the To: line addresses name1(_at_)foo(_dot_)com(_dot_)

box1 has an SMTP server that will do the right thing if I can make fetchmail rewrite the rfc822 names. What am I doing wrong that rewriting is not happening?

TIA * 10E6.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/