[fetchmail](no subject)

2004-07-01 08:47:33
I've just inherited a mess of a mail system and I'm trying to use fetchmail
to temporarily clean things up until I have the opportunity to redo the
entire thing.  We have an Exchange server running internally and a number of
POP3 accounts for external mail.   Several people have their own POP3
account while the rest of us share a multidrop (see below).  2 accounts seem
to be generating a lot of trouble; the ca and joancollins accounts.  The
user of ca came to me this morning and indicated that he didn't think his
incoming email was being delivered.  I checked to see if there were any
errors in my inbox; there weren't.  I logged into my home webmail account
and emailed him a test message which came through immediately.  He then
called his wife and had her send a test message which also came through
immediately.  I concluded there was nothing wrong and that he just was not
getting the volume of email he normally does.  No sooner than I got back to
my desk, I received a delivery failure notification.  The original email was
addressed to ca(_at_)associatedmutual(_dot_)com
<mailto:ca(_at_)associatedmutual(_dot_)com>  which
is correct.  The error message however, was:

<root(_at_)associatedmutual(_dot_)com> root(_at_)associatedmutual(_dot_)com
      MSEXCH:IMS:Associated Mutual Insurance Cooperative:Amicsite1:NTSERVER1
0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

I have no idea where "root" is coming from nor why it's working for some
emails and not others.  Also, despite having "set no bouncemail" in the RC
file, error messages are still being sent to the senders which causes them
to call us, resend email, etc.

Someone please help me.  I am not subscribed to this list so please
explicitly address me in your replies.  Thanks.

--------------------------------- fetchmailrc
---------------------------------
set daemon 60
set postmaster "carlm"
set no bouncemail
set logfile /var/log/fetchmail

defaults
        proto pop3
                smtpaddress associatedmutual.com
                smtphost 192.168.250.1

poll mail.warwick.net
        user u1044046 to insurit carlm chris edward hannah jean jennifer
jerry jim kathyr phil renay sue theresa tracy here
                password xxxxxxxx
        user e1017834 is garyb here
                password xxxxxxxx
        user e1017759 is zane here