Re: [fetchmail] [Thankyou] - daemon prob fedora core 3

2005-04-29 11:23:05
Look I know there's a convention that you don't
say thankyou because its extra traffic but some
usenet conventions don't allow humanity and this
one I will ignore.

Thankyou everyone who contributed to solving my
difficulty with it.  The problem was I had an
interval value which was very large so the
site never got polled.

All clear and running fine now.

Thanks again

Harry Iawatha.

Matthias Andree wrote:

Please reply to the list with a full quote. Reply-To is set. I'm not
Cc:ing the list as I am not sure if I have permission to do so.

I'm assuming this implies I have your permission to post your
comment above.  Sorry, it was unintentional.

You really need to provide detailed information then, relevant excerpts

from the output you get when running "fetchmail -Nvv" (with daemon mode

on) for instance.

I've been in an Internet desert for a few days and couldn't
reply.  Thanks for this suggestion.  Sometimes when there
is a mail there to be fetched I get an "Invalid Command" from
fetchmail but it still seems to fetch the mail ok'  It
isn't clear where it comes from - it goes to STDERR and
so far when I've done 2>&1 it hasn't occurred (at least there's
nothing I can find in the trace.

Please try fetchmail -Nvv 2>&1 to get more logging, and please show the
configuration file (remember to blank the passwords) or the output of
fetchmail -V (which does not contain passwords).

The worse problem shows in this below:

fetchmail: POP3< +OK Bye-bye.
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.plus.net (protocol POP3) at Fri 29 Apr 2005 00:29:28 BST: poll completed
fetchmail: not swapping UID lists, no UIDs seen this query
fetchmail: Query status=1 (NOMAIL)

This is the actual "problem" IF you say there is a message waiting,
UNLESS it's the "FOLDER INTERNAL MAILBOX DATA" mail that UW-IMAP related
software stores in your upstream mailbox, some POP3 servers (for
instance, ipop3d) hide these.

not quite.  I set fetchmail running then placed a mail there
for it to find (so there correctly no mail at startup but
then when there was mail it didn't find it - because it
didn't wake up).  All *may* now seem clear (see below)

fetchmail: Deleting fetchids file.
fetchmail: sleeping at Fri 29 Apr 2005 00:29:28 BST
fetchmail: awakened at Fri 29 Apr 2005 00:31:08 BST
fetchmail: interval not reached, not querying mail.plus.net

You configured an "interval", which means that fetchmail will only query
the server ever interval-th waking up and skipping this server interval
- 1  times after waking - re-read the man page and please do report if
it is unclear in this regard.

Remove the "interval" from your configuration file if you want to poll
your upstream server every 100 seconds.

right.  Now I got it figured if I correctly understandyou ...

the config file has both a

set daemon 100

and

interval 100

This was written by fetchmailconf originally when I was
experimenting with different fetchmail features. Are these
two things in conflict ?

Here's the config file edited to remove identifiable stuff

set postmaster "..."
set nobouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 100
poll mail.plus.net with proto POP3 timeout 20 interval 100 and options no dns
    localdomains .....
       user '...' there with password '...' is '...' here

I'm not using fetchmail for multidrop but the incoming does
contain multidrop stuff (the ISP has a user-configurable
mailbox redirection mechanism so I am delivering it locally
to one user that has some procmail processing to split it up
 - its actually going to lists on a listserv - they do
provide smtp delivery but its either all smtp or all pop
and I need pop on some mailboxes).  Then procmail side
of things is all working fine (I say this because I know
people will say "why are you doing that madness" - but it
all works fine enough and is safe, no loop danger!).

harry

So from my niaive corner I'm wondering .... could it be
related to time representation ?  Does FC3 represent
time dffferntly to other linuxes ?

Fedora does some things differently from other Linux distributions, but
I am not convinced that it's Fedora's fault yet.

sure does.  feels a bit MS to me.  but then RedHat always did.

harry