Re: [fetchmail]daemon prob fedora core 3

2005-04-29 15:37:20
Harry Iawatha <h(_dot_)iawatha(_at_)ekit(_dot_)com> writes:

Matthias Andree wrote:
Please reply to the list with a full quote. Reply-To is set. I'm not
Cc:ing the list as I am not sure if I have permission to do so.

I'm assuming this implies I have your permission to post your
comment above.  Sorry, it was unintentional.

Yes you have permission.

right.  Now I got it figured if I correctly understandyou ...

the config file has both a

set daemon 100

and

interval 100

This was written by fetchmailconf originally when I was
experimenting with different fetchmail features. Are these
two things in conflict ?

No, they aren't. You told fetchmail to wake 100 s after the previous
poll, and to look at the mail every 100th time it wakes.

That means it will actually look for mail every 10,000 seconds (about
three hours).

Here's the config file edited to remove identifiable stuff

set postmaster "..."
set nobouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 100
poll mail.plus.net with proto POP3 timeout 20 interval 100 and options
no dns
    localdomains .....
       user '...' there with password '...' is '...' here

I'm not using fetchmail for multidrop but the incoming does
contain multidrop stuff

Only fetchmail's configuration determines if you're using multidrop.

Use two or more addresses, or a wildcard, in the "is ... here" list and
you get multidrop, use a single address without wildcard characters and
you get singledrop. It's implicit.

and I need pop on some mailboxes).  Then procmail side
of things is all working fine (I say this because I know
people will say "why are you doing that madness" - but it
all works fine enough and is safe, no loop danger!).

procmail isn't exactly my favorite software, I usually recommend
maildrop instead: procmail is VERY hard to configure properly and
crashproof (where crash includes mail loss, mail delivery to the wrong
place, and other mischief), maildrop is more cautious and also more
easily configured, less surprises for it returns EX_TEMPFAIL (often code
75) when something's wrong, unless explicitly told otherwise.