Re: [fetchmail]IPv6 DNS Problems

2005-05-30 07:18:39
Sebastian Wiesinger <fetchmail(_at_)tracker(_dot_)fire-world(_dot_)de> wrote in
Late March:

I tried to use fetchmail with my IPv6 server and was unable to get a
connection. All I got was:

fetchmail[28460]: couldn't find canonical DNS name of alita.v6.karotte.org
(alita.v6.karotte.org)
fetchmail[28460]: Query status=11 (DNS)

I use fetchmail with Linux 2.4.x, glibc 2.3.2.

I tried to find the reason for this (because I have AAAA records for
this address), and found out that driver.c doesn't resolve IPv6 hosts.
gethostbyname doesn't resolve AAAA records unless told so with a
resolver option. (Which is defined in resolv.h as RES_USE_INET6)

I attached my hotfix for this (which is poorly written, but works for
me) to this mail.

[...]

I made a new diff because I forgot to include the whole "else" tree
for IPv6. :(

It would be nice if someone could implement something (better) like
that.

Well, frankly I haven't even bothered to look at IPv6 DNS resolution as
the code states something like "requires inet6-apps library" and I've
never heard of that, and haven't dared touch this yet, after the next
release, we'll have to look after proper getaddrinfo() stuff.
for the