Re: [fetchmail]SMTP problem

2005-09-29 22:10:01
On 29/09/05, Bo Grimes <newslists(_at_)isp(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'm trying to learn mutt, so I installed fetchmail.  I've tried to solve
this with Google, FAQs and the Linux Admin Handbook, but I'm stumped.
The best I can tell is the problem isn't with fetchmail but with Exim.

From the error, you're correct.

I have both Exim and sendmail.  It looks like fetchmail is trying to use
exim rather than sendmail.  Does this matter?

You have Exim running.  Fetchmail is connecting to port 25/tcp on the
loopback (as the manual says).

I've looked all over /etc at /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf and
/var/mail.  I don't know if this is an Exim conf problem, an issue of
which MTA I'm using or if my FQDM is wrong, or what.

You have a config problem with exim (probably).

I'm not a techie, admin, or guru of any sort.  I've tried to figure it
out on my own as an exercise, but I just don't have a clue.  I want
fetchmail to deliver my mail from this pop to /var/mail/[username],
where mutt defaults,  and I just can't make it happen.

Any ideas?  TIA

1) Post your .fetchmailrc
2) Confirm that <username> is the same at ISP and local machine (ie,
fred(_at_)isp(_dot_)com is fred(_at_)localhost
3) Consult your mail log (probably under /var/log/mail<something>)
4) Learn more about your MTA (http://www.exim.org/) :-)
5) Do the same for whatever flavour of Linux you've got

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor