Re: [fetchmail]SMTP problem

2005-09-30 06:26:32
Rob MacGregor wrote:

1) Post your .fetchmailrc
# Configuration created Thu Sep 29 18:23:51 2005 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "fred"         <------ should this be root or postmaster?
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
poll pop.newsguy.com with proto POP3
      user 'fred' there with password 'deleted' is 'fred' here

2) Confirm that <username> is the same at ISP and local machine (ie,
fred(_at_)isp(_dot_)com is fred(_at_)localhost

It is.

3) Consult your mail log (probably under /var/log/mail<something>)

/var/log/mail/mail.log doesn't seem to have anything useful. Mostly it's a lot of stuff about spamd which regularly says stuff like: strider spamd[17207]: got connection over /home/fred/.evolution/cache/tmp/spamd-socket-path-Fh6V1d then it checks messages and cleans them, etc.

All my GUI MUAs have no problems. Spamd (spamassassin) may be the problem, I suppose, but I don't see how.

4) Learn more about your MTA (http://www.exim.org/) :-)

Trying, but it's a bit like a dyslexic trying to learn Geek, I mean Greek. Looking in /var/log led me to /var/log/exim4/rejectlog.1 which says stuff like:

2005-09-29 14:15:06 H=localhost [127.0.0.1] F=<fred(_at_)isp(_dot_)com> temporarily rejected RCPT <fred(_at_)localhost>: failed to open /etc/aliases for linear search: Permission denied (euid=112 egid=112)

I will read up on aliases. This seems to be getting at the root of the problem because in /etc/aliases it says the postmaster is root. However, if I run fetchmailconf and then fetchmail as root setting the local name to 'fred' I still get the same problem. Root's .fetchmailrc gets written with set postmaster "postmaster". What I'm trying to figure out, because I think it would help, is just how Evolution, et al send mail successfully. When I set up a graphical MUA I set the smtp as smtp.isp.com; however, my machine has to use some MTA that has to use my smtp to get it to my isp's smtp, right? I assume that's Exim, so why does it work for Evolution?

My /etc/exim/config files have stuff about aliases, so it looks like I'm on the right path here, though /etc/aliases is a sendmail and smail file that Exim doesn't use except for compabitility, it seems. Thanks for the pointers. This may take awile for me and is probably best persued down the exim route rather than fetchmail. Appreciate it! Disclaimer: The rest of this is just pissiness and not meant to indicate ingratitude and need not be read.

5) Do the same for whatever flavour of Linux you've got

Which is why I tried to make it clear from the start that I was doing this, hoping to avoid the obligatory rtfm conversation. On my desk sit "The Linux Cookbook," "The Linux Administration Handbook," "Running Linux," and "Fedora 3 Unleashed." I never resort to usenet, mailing list or irc until I have tried everything else. I thought I had narrowed the problem down very significantly and posted what I thought was the key infomation for diagnosing the problem.

Conversely, I guess I could just skip fetchmail and stick with what already works.

Sorry I'm getting pissy, and I'm sure it's obvious, but over the last 6 years of using Linux as just a regular home user coming from Windows with no tech background whatsoever it just seems Linux folk shoot their wounded.

I was very trepidatious about posting to this list, thinking it was just slightly less intimidating than the mutt list which is only below the kernel list, so I tried to do my homework.

Anyway, I do mean it when I say thank-you.