Re: [fetchmail]SMTP problem

2005-09-30 08:50:06
Rob MacGregor wrote:

Trying, but it's a bit like a dyslexic trying to learn Geek, I mean
Greek.  Looking in /var/log led me to /var/log/exim4/rejectlog.1 which
says stuff like:

2005-09-29 14:15:06 H=localhost [127.0.0.1] F=<fred(_at_)isp(_dot_)com>
temporarily
rejected RCPT <fred(_at_)localhost>: failed to open /etc/aliases for linear
search: Permission denied (euid=112 egid=112)

Hmmm, try opening up /etc/aliases - set the group ownership to numeric
112.  That may fix all your problems.

If by that you mean chmod 112 /etc/aliases, as root obviously, then it didn't work, but that's because...

With Fetchmail you've got:

ISP ---> Fetchmail ---> Local SMTP ---> Local POP/IMAP

And then your MUA communicates with your local servers.

Keep in mind too that your SMTP server is only part of the equation. You also need a local POP/IMAP server.

Crap!  Not a popserver anywhere, locally.  Doh!  :Smacking forehead:::

I still don't understand how mail in Evolution gets from my machine to my isp, though, but I'm not that concerned about it at the moment if it's not useful for this discussion.

That it was, for me (who's been a unix admin for over a decade),
pretty obvious the problem lay with your MTA didn't help my response -
and for that I apologise (see, I can be nice too :>).

Well, I *did* need to be familiar with my distro. It doesn't provide a popserver by default. I never thought you were being rude. It's just I had tried to avoid that particular reply. :-)

Conversely, I guess I could just skip fetchmail and stick with what
already works.

In all honesty - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, but here's the deal, and I'm getting off-thread. A few months back I needed to work from run level 3 in order to download some kernel headers, a nvidia driver and run the nvidia install binary. I have tried to learn CLI stuff, and use slrn and stuff, but if I had to trouble shoot a problem with no GUI I would be in trouble.

So, I have learned wvdial, jpico, links, slrn, wget and screen. I just can't use email at all from run level 3, yet. I had to decide on the classic Emacs single program approach or the vi multi approach and I like the latter, though vi is more than I need.

It's not crucial for me to do what I need to do, but, while I'm never going to rebuild the engine, I would like to be able to do tune-ups. I like understanding the technology I use even if I'm not an admin. Anyway, it seems obvious what the next step here is, and I really appreciate the help!