Re: [fetchmail]supress errors in log

2005-11-14 04:52:51
On 11/13/05, Matthias Andree <matthias(_dot_)andree(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:
 or consider something like IMAP (which has an IDLE mode) with --all option
(the
latter is important so you don't miss out on mails that you read on the
upstream server instead).

On 11/11/05, Rob MacGregor <rob(_dot_)macgregor(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
IMAP with IDLE if the ISP supports it.

Ok, 4 of the server support IMAP, so I have changed the .fetchmailrc
files to the imap server, and appears to be downloading fine. Some of
the POP3 server are my own, and others are ISP ones, and i've never
had a nasty email/letter yet, so should be fine.Is there a way to see
if the IMAP polling is staying connected and passing NOOP or IDLE?

* Use daemon mode - it's there for a reason!

I can understand that the daemon is the correct way to go, I will not
doubt that, but I can't see the bigger picture. I have three local
users, collecting email from various POP/IMAP servers. In daemon mode
I have 3 instances of fetchmail running, waiting to be polled
depending on the users setings.

Alternatively I three entries in /etc/crontab that run the fetchmail
tool every 60 seconds, polls the email, and then closes.

* Append ">/dev/null 2>/dev/null" (or ">/dev/null 2>&1") to direct all
output to /dev/null

Sweet that worked.

Surprise? No, this is Unix, just plain UNIX shell behavior, you just
told it where you wanted the output to go, and it obeyed.

No not suprised, just showing thanks really.