Re: [fetchmail]supress errors in log

2005-11-14 09:38:22
On 14/11/05, Paul Goodyear <pgudge(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Ok, 4 of the server support IMAP, so I have changed the .fetchmailrc
files to the imap server, and appears to be downloading fine. Some of
the POP3 server are my own, and others are ISP ones, and i've never
had a nasty email/letter yet, so should be fine.Is there a way to see
if the IMAP polling is staying connected and passing NOOP or IDLE?

Check the mail log to see that you've got mail coming in :-)  I've
never run fetchmail in anything other than silent mode, so I don't
know what messages it would otherwise produce.

Just keep in mind, as per the man page, that if you're using IDLE then
you must have only ONE remote mail server specified.

I can understand that the daemon is the correct way to go, I will not
doubt that, but I can't see the bigger picture. I have three local
users, collecting email from various POP/IMAP servers. In daemon mode
I have 3 instances of fetchmail running, waiting to be polled
depending on the users setings.

Alternatively I three entries in /etc/crontab that run the fetchmail
tool every 60 seconds, polls the email, and then closes.

So, rather than the slight memory overhead of multiple copies of
fetchmail running all the time, you have the overhead of fetchmail
starting up, parsing the config file, polling the mail servers and
then shutting down, every 60 seconds like clockwork.

I suspect you'll find that daemon mode, particularly for multiple
users, is kinder on the underlying box :-)

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor