Re: [fetchmail]supress errors in log

2005-11-14 06:08:19

* Use daemon mode - it's there for a reason!

I can understand that the daemon is the correct way to go, I will not
doubt that, but I can't see the bigger picture. I have three local
users, collecting email from various POP/IMAP servers. In daemon mode
I have 3 instances of fetchmail running, waiting to be polled
depending on the users setings.

Alternatively I three entries in /etc/crontab that run the fetchmail
tool every 60 seconds, polls the email, and then closes.
Consinder following scenario:
One of your ISPs is - for wharever reason - taking longer than 60 seconds to deliver an email to you (maybe it's a really big mail :-) Cron does not know that the last fetch is not finished yet and starts another poll. Actually this will fail, because IIRC fetchmail prevents running two instanes for the same user - If you didn't redirect errors to /dev/null you would see an error now.
Unfortunately you will not be able to see other errors this way, too.

In daemon mode
a) fetchmail will start the next poll <put-your-number-here> seconds after FINISHING the last poll.
b) users have more control if they want to run fetchmail
c) the users will see error messages if something goes wrong (which they might be interested in).

Cheers,
Tobias