[fetchmail]forwarding to a remote SMTP server

2005-12-19 13:39:44
Hello,

I figured it would be best to describe what I want to do first, then ask my
question.

I would like to set up a number of email account I have to forward all
emails to one email account (gmail).  That way I can check all my mail in
one place (and search and store it).  For most of the accounts I have this
is no problem.  They have settings to allow forwarding to other email
accounts.  I have one account though that is a problem.  It is an IMAP
account, but doesn't provide a way to forward all incoming mail.  I have a
linux box that is always up, and I figured that I could use fetchmail to
collect this mail (running in daemon mode).  I would than like to send this
mail out through a SMTP server (not a MTA on the local linux box).  Reading
through the manual, I think I can set up this using --smtpname
<user(_at_)domain>
to forward the email to an external SMTP server.  The SMTP server I will be
using requires authentication.  It looks like fetchmail supports this with
'esmtpname' and 'esmtppassword'.  (What is the difference here between ESMTP
and SMTP?  Am I right in figuring I can use this to do authentication to an
SMTP server?)  In addition the SMTP server I will be using supports TLS
encryption for the SMTP connection (and hints in the future they may require
it).  Does fetchmail support TLS connections to remote SMTP server?

Sean