Re: [fetchmail]forwarding to a remote SMTP server

2005-12-20 09:17:35
On 12/19/05, Rob MacGregor <rob(_dot_)macgregor(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 19/12/05, S. Palmer <smpalmer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hello,

I figured it would be best to describe what I want to do first, then ask my
question.

You don't say what version of fetchmail you're planning to use.  From
the fact that you're using the old lists I'm guessing 6.2.x or
earlier.  I'd suggest upgrading to 6.3.1 to begin with.

Thanks for the heads up.  I had just googled fetchmail and took the
top link for the fetchmail homepage.  Is there a reason the old
fetchmail page is still up?  The freshmeat page does link to the
berlios.de site, but the old www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/ website
gives no hint that there is a newer webpage.  The berlios.de site is
down the page a bit in a google search.

Reading
through the manual, I think I can set up this using --smtpname <
user(_at_)domain> to forward the email to an external SMTP server.

From the man page:

(Keyword: smtp[host]) Specify a hunt list of hosts to forward mail to.

Yes, I saw that.  This line in the FAQ threw me off:

"To forward mail to a host other than the one you are running
fetchmail on, use the smtphost or smtpname option. See the manual page
for details."

The "smtphost or smtpname" made me think that smtpname would specify
the username and host.  I guess that was wrong and maybe it should be
"smtphost and smtpname" in the FAQ.

The SMTP
server I will be using requires authentication.  It looks like fetchmail
supports this with 'esmtpname' and 'esmtppassword'.

Looks like it, never used it.

 (What is the difference
here between ESMTP and SMTP?

Quite a lot - look at the man page :)

 Am I right in figuring I can use this to do
authentication to an SMTP server?)  In addition the SMTP server I will be
using supports TLS encryption for the SMTP connection (and hints in the
future they may require it).  Does fetchmail support TLS connections to
remote SMTP server?

Not sure.  You probably want to ask the question on the current lists
on berlios.de.

Thanks for the info.  I will post a questions on the new list.

Sean