Re: [fetchmail]How do I install fetchmail on RH7.3

2006-02-08 02:54:47
Thembi Moyo <thembinkosi(_at_)zuc(_dot_)adventist(_dot_)org> writes:

Its my mail server and I need to get fectmail running or I am done...

Well, "mail server", "newbie" and an old unmaintained unsupported and
insecure distribution such as Red Hat 7.3 do not go together
well. Servers on unmaintained distributions are a danger for the whole
Internet, so please understand I'm unwilling to give you unpaid support
that will only aggravate the dangers.

And it's not like fetchmail came without documentation, you know.  In
other words: if the fetchmail documentation (such as INSTALL) is not
sufficient for you so you can install it, then this pretty much means
you should be installing fetchmail yourself from sources.

I suggested to get an up-to-date distribution (so you can use it
safely), many of them will install fetchmail for you, and some (such as
SUSE) have configuration utilities that ask a few simple questions and
set up fetchmail for you. That is the way to go, unless you are willing
to get professional advise and training.

This all does not *remotely* look like you know what you are doing, and
helping such people out, as inhumane as it may look at first glance, is
a disservice for many innocent bystanders that might suffer the effects
from verdant installs of network server software.

Harsh words, I know, but you'd better read a text book so you get some
background on mailservers, Internet mail and thereabouts first. Running
networked and server software is a responsibility and requires a bit of
knowledge, and it appears you need to learn those bits first.

I'm sure once you've learned enough so you can describe your
installation problem in detail, someone will be able and willing to help
you.