Re: Why We Disagree So Much... A Thought

1991-04-10 22:37:30
Well, it is an interesting idea, but speaking for myself, I don't think I fit
the categories you present.

(1) I believe that RFC 821 and RFC 822 will be around for a very, very, very
    long time.

(2) I believe that enhancements at both levels are warranted. Just because I'm
    against most of the SMTP enhancements proposed thus far doesn't mean there
    aren't enhancements to be made to SMTP. I haven't bothered to present what
    I think SMTP needs since it is unrelated to the issues we're debating at
    present.

(3) I believe that if we come up with sound enhancements, they will be widely
    deployed and used.

(4) I believe that just because we come up with enhancements, and they may see
    wide use, that many MTAs and UAs will be extremely slow to upgrade. Some
    will never upgrade, for all practical purposes. This necessitates backwards
    compatibility in order to insure operational integrity.

(5) I also believe that X.400 will see increasing use, but it will be a long
    time before it overtakes 821 and 822 use. Given the fact that the most
    explosive e-mail growth today is in PC e-mail, and these systems are for
    the most part 822-derived, it may be that X.400 will _never_ overtake
    822, certainly not within the useful life of what we're working on here.

My opinions only. I offer them simply to show how they fit, or don't fit, your
analysis.

                                Ned