Re: Comments on Draft RFC

1991-04-25 07:00:22
I think I'm in the process of being persuaded on the "charset" issue.
At least, Neil's belief that it is needed seems to be a lot stronger
(currently) than my belief that it isn't.

What would people (Neil & others) think of augmenting the Content-type
header to include character set info?  Right now we have

We could easily add the charset information into this header, instead of
a charset header.  For example,

or, if you believe (as I do) that charsets are probably more frequently
used than some of these other things:

If we went down this route, we could restore "text" as the default
content-type, with something like "USASCII" (let's NOT argue over this
string just yet) as the default charset.  A common type of European
message might have

A "typical" troff message might have

And a European troff message might have

Is there an advantage to this scheme over a separate "Character-Set"
header field?  Only in that it preserves the idea that a single header
describes the entire content of the message.  (Oh yes, and it saves a
few bytes :-))   Are there any disadvantages?

More to the point, are there people out there whose opposition to a
character set header is stronger than mine, and who would like to take
up the argument against it?