RFC-XXXX, section 3.1, minor clarification needed.

1991-04-26 07:54:20
#   Style #2:  An 8 bit value from 160 through 255 may, alternately, be
#   represented by an ampersand character followed by the character

This seems to tell that Style #2 is defined as handling 160 to 255 only.

#   Note that these two styles may be freely intermixed.  Style #1 is
#   preferred for characters 128 through 159, because style #2 might
#   include control characters (e.g. TAB) that are altered by some MTA

Therefore, 'preferred' does not seem to be the right word. Style #1 is
the only solution, since Style #2 does not handle those values by definition.

#                                                It is also recommended
#that the persistence of character codes less than 32 should not be
#relied on, particularly the TAB, CR, and LF characters.  Where such
#characters would be required for representation in style #2, it is
#recommended that style #1 be used.

Again, Style #2 cannot be used at all, by definition. The word 'recommended'
does not seem quite right.

Unless, of course, my weak command of english puts me on the wrong track.

Universite Catholique de Louvain     | If your mail software barks at |
Service d'Etudes Informatiques       | my address, you may try :      |
Batiment Pythagore                   |                                |
Place des Sciences, 4                |     FNTA80(_at_)BUCLLN11(_dot_)BITNET

B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, BELGIUM     +--------------------------------+
phone +32 (10) 47-2625