et VISUAL=emacs

1991-04-27 17:07:12
BTW, I just noticed that my last message was sent to ietf-smtp, not
ietf-822.  Sorry about that, but I was just replying.  If you want that
message (it's on the "what's the part in multipart" issue with message
id <9104272118(_dot_)AA10520(_at_)polya(_dot_)Eng(_dot_)Sun(_dot_)COM>), please
email me and I'll
forward you a copy.

On to business:

It occured to me as I was making lunch earlier, that some people might
consider digests and multipart messages to be the same thing and, so,
there should be one mechanism for both.

The problem is that digests are collections of messages while a
multipart message body is a collection arbitrary kinds of things.
Digests might have text at the beginning and end, while multipart
messages don't (although I could see some debate about this).  At best,
a digest is a special kind of multipart -- where all the parts are
messages.

The difference between the RFC-XXX approach and the approach that I like
is how one tells the difference between data and message (that contains
data).  In both schemes, a g3fax part looks like

    --- zxcvb

    ... fax data ...
    --- zxcvb

(there would probably be a Content-Encoding also, but let's keep it
simple).  Now consider a part that is a message containing a g3fax.  In
RFC-XXX it looks like

    --- zxcvb