Re: Part versus MultiPart, continued

1991-04-27 17:22:00
 Here's my new proposal: At the top level, headers contain some
 X.400 envelope information, some X.400 content information, and information
 about either one bodypart or the fact that the message contains multiple
 bodyparts (i.e. a multipart content-type is specified). If a multipart
 content-type is used, each part can either be a simple bodypart or
 a FORWARDEDIPMSG.

Right on.

 The way you tell the difference is by looking at the
 part headers -- a FORWARDEDIPMSG is indicated if either the part has a
 multipart content-type -or- it employs one of a group of headers (the
 exact group has to be specified, but it definitely should include Subject:
 headers and From: headers).

This is where we disagree.  There can be multipart messages that are not
forwarded messages and searching out the 822 headers is harder than
simply recognizing the "message" Content-Type.

 Adding an
 additional content-type for encapsulated messages is not only unnecessary,
 it is not a good idea, since if you do so it will bust this nice mapping.

But it doesn't bust the scheme I've been discussing.

Pete