Re: UUencode

1991-04-28 23:13:46
I don't have a problem with having UUENCODE as an optionally supported
encoding (my current implementation of the draft RFC actually supports
UUENCODE), but I must continue to insist on retaining BASE64 as the encoding
of choice. I've simply had too much trouble with UUENCODE personally to
make any other recommendation. The additional argument in favor of the
BASE64 encoding is that it is required by privacy enhanced mail anyway, and
thus is more likely to be present in the "next generation" of e-mail software
anyway, despite UUENCODE's present popularity. If privacy enhanced mail had
gone with UUENCODE (they would have had to solve all of its problems along
the way) I'd feel differently, but they didn't, so I don't.

                                Ned