Re: TEXT is good enough

1991-04-29 21:14:48
My mind is boggled at the arguments of what name to use for textual
data, and that without an precise character set specification nobody
will know what we are talking about.

Let me point out that this is the situation we have now, and it
doesn't really work all *that* badly.  The international interchange
of e-mail discussing the matter proves this.

And let me point out that THIS mailing list does not need other
character sets, since we have implicitly agreed to discuss things in
English.

I know of several international mailing lists where people have to
resort to horrible kludges such as "Alain LaBonte/". This guy has to
be aware of the ASCII email world, and has to type "e/" for e-acute.
These people are really frustrated with today's minimal support for
other character sets. One of the main reasons for forming ietf-smtp
and ietf-822 is to discuss extensions for these people, I think. How
do others feel about this?

Regards,
Erik