a counter-proposal for text

1991-04-30 15:03:07
Friends,

     I would like to offer the following counter-proposal for textual mailing.

     There is a single textual content type called TEXT.  In the absence of
any resource-refs, the precise definition of the document character set is
unspecified.  How an unspecified document is to be interpreted depends upon
national, site, or individual user conventions; in the absence of any of these
an unspecified 7-bit document SHOULD be treated as MAILASCII and an
unspecified 8-bit document SHOULD be treated as <???something here???>.

     A resource-ref, if present, identifies the character set in use.  The
currently defined character sets are:
        MAILASCII
        ISO-IR-???
        etc.

     I would also like to collapse inputs to programs, such as Scribe, TeX,
etc. into a single type, perhaps also all of the binary stuff as well.

     What I am trying to accomplish here is to have a limited number of major
types and use the resource-refs to add the fine details.  Remember, an
implementation has to make some general decisions of what to do with a
document based on its type, and the more types which exist the more trouble it
is for that implementation.  If it does not know about a particular type it is
going to have a much harder time deciding than it would if it had some basic
information to go on.

     I would go as far to propose limiting types to these:
        TEXT            unstructured text in some character set, specified by
                        a resource-ref
        BINARY          binary data, specified by a resource-ref
                        [more precisely, input to a program.  This includes
                         Postscript, Scribe, etc.  It may be alright to
                         differentiate between those formats which are
                         reasonable to display on a text terminal (e.g.
                         Scribe) and those which are not (e.g. PBM)]
        MULTIPART       multiple part message
        X-mumble        strongly discouraged

     Note that this is still just as open-ended as the current RFC-XXXX is.
What I have done is made it easier for a less-ambitious implementation.

-- Mark --