Re: a plea for simplicity

1991-04-30 15:47:14
On Tue, 30 Apr 91 01:44:05 MDT, Einar Stefferud wrote:
My problem with that is that with time, "text" has come to mean "what
I (and you, and you, and that other guy) happen to be commonly using
in our own work" regardless of the fact that these are all different.

I know.  I postulate that this is, in fact, a desirable state of affairs.

I am not arguing that this should be the *only* state; simply that this state
should not be eliminated.

In short, what is the advantage of being ambiguous in this regard?

Basically, I don't like being required to specifically identify the character
set I am using.  In fact, I claim that there are conditions in which the mail
UA at each end doesn't have the slightest idea what the character set of the
message text is even when the humans understand it perfectly well.

I have a counter-proposal which I will detail in a subsequent message.