Re: Richmail

1991-06-04 15:14:18
I thought the goal was to define a format that would gain quick acceptance
and use.  RICHTEXT is limited to a small community with the resources
to implement small conversion or display programs.  Those using PC-based
or Office Automation Tools are left with no simple solution.

I don't think the richness of RTF is a barrier to this goal.  From what
I understand of RTF, the syntax is simple.  Therefore, I could easily
implement a filter which threw away everything but a few key commands
I can render on my printer or terminal (bold, italics, 1.45 angstrom
spacing).  Further, I can feed the entire document to my favorite
word processor and benefit from richness that is available.

Specifying a text format in the RFC is worthwhile for all the reasons
Nathaniel outlined.  But I think it should be restricted to identifying
the format, and not defining a new one.

Note that the Microsoft RTF format is available somewhere via anonymous
FTP.  Anyone know where?