Re: Charset compromise (Was Re: Character-set) header

1991-09-05 18:10:43

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)thumper(_dot_)bellcore(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: Charset compromise (Was Re: Character-set) header

        <stuff deleted>

Actually, I'd be willing to take a shot at a new draft now, based on our
recent discussions, and starting with Ned's latest pass.  If I do that,
it will solve the two outstanding controversies as follows:

1.  Ban the use of encodings on types "multipart" and "message".

2.  Add an optional syntax for character sets to the Content-type field.

It sounded to me like most people will be reasonably happy with these
solutions.  Before you accuse me of trying to push anything down your
throat, bear in mind that #2 is not my preferred solution at all!

Sigh.  I agree that these were two of the more contentious results
of the meeting, but I disagree with both of them, and neither of
these two are the solutions that were discussed at Atlanta, no
matter how flawed people may think that process was.

However, we already agreed to wait for Greg's polling letter, so I guess
I will.

        Neil