Re: quoting non-ascii-7 chars in the header

1991-09-20 09:18:31
Hi,

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)thumper(_dot_)bellcore(_dot_)com>
(me)

Non-ASCII-7 chars in the header: there is already a simple
solution, and it is in 822.

I'm afraid I honestly don't understand your suggestion, nor can I find
anything like it in RFC 822.  In particular, the way I read your
proposal, I don't see how to tell the difference between a real " and a
" with the 8th bit on, but I'm almost certain I don't understand what
you're proposing.

Simply that 822 already provides rigorously for quoting characters
in the header. So there is no problem with using "mnemonic", given
that individual octets are quoted where needed.

Likewise, _if_ we used AUC (an 8 bit code) in the header, the quoting
still works; since any character can be quoted, characters that
"look like" meta-chars in 7 bits can be quoted, so that they won't
cause trouble if the message is 8th-bit-stripped. (Which is not
to claim that it would be readable, just that it won't clobber
the parser.)

So I see no need for X-Real-From: or the ilk. People _will_ put
(e.g.) their real name in the From: line, and simply must quote it
properly.

Best Regards,
Robert