Re: non-ASCII in headers

1991-09-30 12:36:47
Once again, with feeling:

RFC-XXXX does not add any restrictions that were not already in RFC-822.

Re-read the above sentence.  Chant it as your personal mantra, along with owa-
tagu-siam.  You will achieve enlightenment.

Twice again, with feeling:

RFC-XXXX does not standardize any character set in messages that was not
already standardized in RFC-822.

Re-read the above sentence.  Chant it as your personal mantra, along with owa-
tagu-siam.  You will achieve enlightenment.

You are asking to change the status quo, not affirm it.  RFC-XXXX is it is
presently constituted does nothing more than affirm the status quo.

Finally, I do not believe your statement that ISO-2022 is being used in
headers in Asia.  I correspond extensively with people in Japan, and I have
not seen a single JUNET netnews or email message with anything other than US-
ASCII in headers.  I believe the JUNET standards expressly forbid use of
anything other than US-ASCII in headers.