Re: non-ASCII in headers

1991-09-30 14:59:14

Mark, I don't want to get into a shouting match.  Suffice it to
say that we feel this is important to not leave out, and I personally
am worried about the time lag between a RFC-xxxx spec and a supplement
that addresses headers.

Finally, I do not believe your statement that ISO-2022 is being used in
headers in Asia.  I correspond extensively with people in Japan, and I
have not seen a single JUNET netnews or email message with anything
other than US- ASCII in headers.  I believe the JUNET standards
expressly forbid use of anything other than US-ASCII in headers.

I checked with our Japanese localization people.  They said that
JUNET doesn't prohibit japanese in the headers; I know for a fact
that our (Sun's) current implementation supports this feature, and
that customers are using it (since I saw the bugs when it didn't
work right...).