Re: non-ASCII in headers

1991-09-30 20:19:42
Neil Katin writes:
I checked with our Japanese localization people.  They said that
JUNET doesn't prohibit japanese in the headers;

I just had a quick look at the JUNET guide (which also contains the
JUNET rules), and I couldn't find anything that prohibits Japanese in
headers. However, there is a guideline that says that you should use
headers of the form

        Subject: next meeting (In Kanji)

to inform people that Japanese is included in the message. (Of course,
this doesn't prove that Japanese cannot be used in headers, but...)

I know for a fact
that our (Sun's) current implementation supports this feature,

The keyword here is "current". This means that older systems don't
support this feature. Remember that not everyone has the newest
system.

and that customers are using it

Perhaps your customers are using it within their own organization,
much like the use of 8-bit SMTP, which doesn't interoperate with the
rest of the world. (Why don't you try sending a message with escape
sequences in the header to THIS mailing list. :-)

Although I sympathize with the people who want to use character sets
other than ASCII in headers, I cannot see a clean solution to this
problem. Perhaps we need to compromise. How about:

        Header-Mnemonic-Intro: 38 (&)
        Header-Substitution: 1=text/iso2022=base64=f2lMeRs2k9JjlmN