Re: non-ASCII in headers

1991-10-01 10:25:25
Neil Katin writes:

I think there is another reason to deal with this in RFC-XXXX (or, at
least at the same time as we issue RFC-XXXX, which comes down to just
about the same thing): This release is trying to standardize character
sets in messages, and an essential element of this standardization is
to handle the character sets in headers too.  I know for a fact that
being able to put localized characters in the header lines is extremely
important to our customers.  In asia, we've been doing it with seven
bit ISO2022 encodings of the local EUC character sets.  I would hope
that we could continue to do this while using RFC-XXXX.  If RFC-XXXX
doesn't allow this, I would expect to have some very upset customers.

To me, this is the key point: if you are going to try and standardize
chararacter sets, solve the problem (not just half of the problem).

How is this done for Japanese email right now?
Is it only the Subject header or are other fields also handled,
like name comment field in from: and to: headers?
Are special characters escaped - like ( ) in comments?

Keld