Re: non-ASCII in headers

1991-10-01 19:20:00
How is this done for Japanese email right now?
Is it only the Subject header or are other fields also handled,
like name comment field in from: and to: headers?
Are special characters escaped - like ( ) in comments?

I don't know how Sun deals with this, but I do know that nearly all of
the headers used in email and netnews in Japan use ASCII only. This is
because lots of the software fails when Escape is used in the headers.
As I said, even if Sun does this unilaterally, their customers will
face problems when they try to communicate with the outside world.

Regards,
EvdP