Re: non-ASCII in headers

1991-10-02 18:33:12

     Finally -- to the guy at SUN: I too implemented ISO-2022 support
for Japanese in a mail program.  I did it more than 5 years ago and
finished the project in To^kyo^.  I too implemented it for Subjects,
and was told by the customer that I shouldn't have done so; they do
NOT use it in headers because of interoperability problems.  I
correspond a fair amount with people in Japan, and to this day message
subjects of ISO-2022 kanji messages continue to be in US-ASCII using
either English or romanized Japanese.

Curious.  It just goes to show that relying on personal history
will lead people to differing results.

My history is that our first implementation didn't allow japanese
in headers.  When the product went into beta, the users *insisted*
(as in, "we don't want your product unless...") that japanese
be allowed on the subject line.

I'm not taking a religious position on this; but I know that our
customers are used to having japanese in the headers, and will
be very slow to accept a product that does not support this
functionality.

        Neil