Re: content-charset & checksums

1991-10-28 22:03:59
On Mon, 28 Oct 91 17:29:46 PST Neil Katin said:
I think better answer is for gateways to correct the
checksum if they munge the contents of the body part...
Neil:

I'm hoping this was a momentary disconnection between the output
device and the operating system...

Checksums should be end-to-end, so as to *identify* any munging of
body parts.  If you go and recompute the checksum based on your munging,
then there is *no* end-to-end validation check that said munging was
performed bitwise correctly.

Consider what happens if you hit a gateway that was designed to
munge the data, but instead mtnge's it (a liuule uranspose in a uanslaue
uable).. Iu uhen utrns arotnd and ceruifies uhau uhe daua
is suill correcu by adding a new, correcued checkstm.....

                                  Valdis Kletnieks
                                  Computer Systems Engineer
                                  Virginia Polytechnic Institute