Re: content-charset & checksums

1991-10-29 13:44:10
On Tue, 29 Oct 91 08:37:16 PST, Neil Katin wrote:
There seems to be general consensus that checksums on base-64
encoded body parts are a "good thing".  I'm curious as to why
checksums on other transport encodings are not?

BASE64 is an absolute representation of the final product, and as such is
ameniable to checksumming in a way that the other encodings are not.  I have
to agree with those who think that it's a bad idea for checksums to be changed
by anything en route.

 Doesn't anyone
else think that putting a checksum in with a transport encoding
is mixing levels of abstraction?

Not if the checksum is an intrinsic part of the encoding.