Proposal to 822-ext draft for referencing

1991-11-28 12:00:28

Here's my proposal that I sent to Nathaniel. I think this
feature is very simple and very much needed in a multimedia
mail standard as a basic feature just to have a sensible way
of writing (cover) letters that unambiquosly can explain and
point to the various parts of the message. A minimal implementation
would just grab the message-ID string the user points at and
uses it as an argument for searching. It's no more complex than
the already widely used References: or In-Reply-To: headers but
gives the multipart mess(ages) a possibility for clear structure.

Rather than just adding message-ID strings inside a text message for
manual cut/paste I'd like to have it the basic richtext (and even
leave many other things out before it) format to make it possible to
create nicelooking and general user interfaces. Real hyper text
documents will no doubt appear later but they will be much more
complex and possibly harder to use for referencing other parts of
RFC-XXXX messages it might be in.  A good hypertext standard would
even supercede all the RFC-XXXX functionality but I don't think it's
a realistic short term goal which we can pursue on every platform as
soon as RFC-XXXX.

Harri