Re: Another MIME test

1992-01-01 20:35:07
Excerpts from ext.ietf-822: 30-Dec-91 Re: Another MIME test Ned
Freed(_at_)hmcvax(_dot_)claremo (1468)

I ceratinly hope that your signature file will not become a regular
50k byte attachment!

I personally don't care for signature files (as you can probably tell by now!)
and I never use them. But a lot of people feel differently about them, and
nobody is going to be able to prevent their use.

Exactly.  And their use will be neither principled nor intelligent.  Our
Xerox NS mail system (which transparently allows formatted messages) is
filled with people who use 100K bytes to send a five-word message,
because it looks nicer with a picture of a butterfly attached, or on
letterhead stationary.  Not to mention the use of signatures on
netnews...

Excerpts from ext.ietf-822: 30-Dec-91 Re: Another MIME test Ned
Freed(_at_)hmcvax(_dot_)claremo (1468)

In an environment where people pay for
their mail on a byte-for-byte basis and don't have a lot of fancy equipment
to view fancy formats it is perfectly reasonable to implement a UA-authorized
gateway that deals with multipart/alternative by stripping out the parts that
are incomprehensible within the enclave.

By "UA-authorized", I presume you are talking about the recipient UA?
And you still have the bandwidth requirements for getting the message to
that enclave.

Bill