Re: Use of Mnemonic in EUnet and NorduNet

1992-02-05 10:12:12
        Oh, well, looks as my credibility is at stake...
Well, something is going on here, that's for sure.

        >   I have consulted technical sources within EUnet about precisely who
        > has installed Keld's software and what it does.  The information was
        > enlightening to say the least.
I have seen (and replied to) one mail addressed to
postmaster(_at_)mcsun(_dot_)EU(_dot_)net; there were no other addresses
in the To: line, nor was there a Cc line. I haven't
heard (yet?) of any other technical source in EUnet
having been consulted.
This gives me a strange feeling, to put it mildly.

        >   His software is being installed because it provides an 8-bit clean
        > SMTP implementation.  That is their only interest in it -- as a
        > mechanism to transport ISO-8859-X cleanly between their backbone
        > sites.  (EUnet has mostly a hub and spoke topology within each country
        > and one backbone hub site per country.)
EUnet has mostly a hub and spoke topology *as far as
uucp is concerned*; in a uucp context SMTP doesn't
apply; where EUnet sites have IP connectivity, they
mostly talk SMTP directly amongst themselves and to
the outside world. Most EUnet backbones do have IP
connectivity.

        I do not beleive that backbone managers have installed it only
        for the 8-bit SMTP. Well, anyway it would be interesting to see
        how and why they have installed it, I did not help each and every
        of them to do it.
        But the 8-bit part is of cause important when you are addressing
        customers that run 8-bit clean, and then to turn their mails
        into RFC-compliant mail. This is what I see as "consenting
        adults" agreements, and gatewaying from the sexy 8-bit
        sites out in the real world. We have something like 20 sites
        in Denmark running their connection to us in 8-bit clean mode.
        I have never heard of an EUnet policy of generally doing 8-bit
        SMTP, which is what you are indicating? Or even between the backbone
        sites. I think you have misunderstood something, Ran. (Or maybe
        you have been misinformed).
See further on.

        >   There apparently is agreement by most of the hub site administrators
        > to implement Keld's software ("patches to sendmail/SMTP" to quote one
        > note) soon but many have not yet done so.  The patches have reportedly
        > been made available to Paul Pomes of UIUC for inclusion in the version
        > of sendmail that he maintains.
Correct. I stated it that way in my reply.

        I have stated earlier (something like half a year ago) that
        it is not all of EUnet backbones who have installed the patches.
Correct. EUnet's central backbone site (mcsun.EU.net)
hasn't installed them yet, for a number of reasons.
It *will* happen though, sooner or later.

        >   There were no statements in support of using Mnemonic for anything.

        > All of the comments were about Keld's wonderful 8-bit clean SMTP mods.

        Well, that is the same thing. You do not run just 8-bit, but we
        run in a mixed 7/8 bit world. But again, I cannot tell how people
        have perceived the software. I have never presented my patches
        as just an 8-bit clean way of doing SMTP, but clearly stressed the
        mnemonics part of it.  maybe they do not know the word Mnemonic,
        but the codeword in EUnet is keld-char. I did not invent that, but
        obviously I am the inventor of it - so that is how they dubbed it.
Right. Installing what we know as "keld-char" is an
agreed-upon strategy for all EUnet backbone sites.
Europe being a multi-national and multi-lingual
continent, there is a clear need here for users
to be able to communicate via e-mail in their own
language. Plain ASCII falls short in many cases.

        Piet