Re: Revising Richtext

1992-02-05 13:33:42
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 5-Feb-92 Re: Revising Richtext Dave Crocker(_at_)mordor(_dot_)stan (1387)

The feedback from this list has been unusually strong and consistent. Even
those not wanting to disturb things, now, or claiming mild opinion, all
seem to support choosing Nathaniel's option 2. (Would that we had this
kind of consensus over ANY of MIME's other points!)

Hence, I think that it is quite reasonable to explore making the change
now, rather than later, as long as it does not affect the IESG/IAB
process. (Believe me, there is plenty of precedent for this level of
change, this late in the game. I can't guarantee that it's ok, but I
can tell you that I think it OUGHT to be...)

Well, this is very interesting. Basically, I've backed off because I think that getting this out the door & keeping richtext in the draft is more important than getting this one point "perfect". But if the alternative is getting this out the door, keeping richtext in the draft, AND getting this one point right, I'm even happier.

GIF image

So I guess the questions on the table now are these:

1. Is there anyone who cares to strongly argue AGAINST option #2? (To recap, this says that lone newlines (CRLFs) in richtext are "soft", i.e. white space, and that sequences of N newlines, where N>1, are to be interpreted as N-1 hard newlines.) Or, to argue AGAINST making the change at this time, despite Dave's procedural perspective?

2. Do any of the other richtext implementors out there have a feel for how much this will break any existing usage? In my case, if you pass the "new" richtext to my old richtext interpreter, you'll see some paragraphs run together, that's all. Not great, but certainly endurable. And passing the "old" richtext to my new richtext interpreter will generally be fine because it almost surely uses "<nl>" or "<paragraph>" and has no real reason to have generated sequences of CRLFs in the old scheme.

Anyway, I really don't want make an issue of this, but if a consensus exists I guess we'd be foolish not to take advantage of it.... -- Nathaniel