Re: Revising Richtext

1992-02-07 09:55:28
Well (he said, stepping in out of the cold for a minute), if Nathaniel's
latest richtext message is any indication, he's cleaned up the
<nl>/newline encoding a great deal, all within the current MIME spec.
For example:

Excerpts from transarc.system.ietf-822: 7-Feb-92 Re: Revising Richtext
Nathaniel Borenstein(_at_)thu (2147+0)

<nl>In other words, what's actually most useful, in daily life, is to be able
to provide <bold>simple emphasis</bold> to your text.
<nl>

I'd argue that we should all just leave it alone, leave richtext in MIME
untouched, and let the future happen.  If somebody later wants to revise
or extend richtext versions, nothing is stopping them.  As I think Ned
pointed out, the understanding of what ``correct'' richtext might be is
an ever-moving target, and will still be moving a year from now.  This
one's good enough to bundle up with the other excellent and necessary
MIME features.  Let's use it.

                Craig