Re: Richtext and SGML

1992-02-07 11:11:38
Place me in the camp with Louie, Ned, Marshall and the others who have said
no more changes.  We've heard a lot of great ideas for improving Richtext.
Unfortunately, they're coming two months too late. There was ample time for
this discussion earlier.  The working group clearly laid out a deadline for
changes, deletions and additions to the document. That deadline is now long
past.  So save it all for son-of-richtext.  Or prove at the Proposed->Draft
step that richtext is unworkable.

Lots of important (some claimed essential) features didn't make it into
MIME
due to lack of consensus at the deadline.  But richtext had consensus
at the
deadline.  It's been submitted to IESG and unless they find a reason to
reject it, it should properly move to Proposed as is (with any necessary
and minor changes of the type Dave suggests are allowed).

Now if, in fact, richtext is so severely flawed, all this discussion and
effort could produce a new sub-type which could be registered and tested
perhaps even before the Draft stage is reached.  The provision for this
type of improvement is one of MIME's best features.  Please use it and let
the document go.

Jim