Re: Richtext and SGML

1992-02-21 22:28:38
Erik (Naggum),

Thanks for the paper comparing SGML and RichText. You must have put a
lot of work into it!

I like the "tags" that you used in your email message. Particularly,
the absence of <nl>. I also like the <p> that appears between
paragraphs. Would it be possible to use ...CRLFCRLF... instead of
...CRLF<p>CRLF... for paragraph separation? I.e. as in this message?

I also prefer the SGML way of ignoring "<"s that are not followed by
the first letter of an identifier. Would it be possible to write a DTD
in such a way that "<"s that appear within a non-ASCII segment of text
encoded in ISO 2022 are ignored? (The encoding used in Japan has ESC$B
before Japanese text, which may or may not contain "<" bytes. I think
it is important that Son-of-RichText be highly compatible with
existing practice in Japan.)

By the way, I thought Nathaniel had changed the specs for "comment"
such that they are properly nested like the other commands. Or is it
still not quite right? (Just wondering.)

Again, thanks for distributing the paper.

Erik (van der Poel)