Re: Nested comments, the sequel

1992-02-09 17:38:54

Ned writes:

| Erik, you have missed the most simple explanation for this, which is what
| I have been saying all along -- nobody cares very much about such a trivial
| little point as whether or not comments nest.

    and

| The time for such picking of nits is past. Let's put this sucker to bed.

I haven't been "on the air" since very early in the history of ietf-822.
However, the above comments (and in fact the whole message: <01GGB25
O1KU2934PFW(_at_)HMCVAX(_dot_)CLAREMONT(_dot_)EDU> by Ned is so unbelievable
that I can't
resist the temptation anymore.

If "specifics" like the syntax of the markup used on text in MIME is
such a trivial little point that it really doesn't matter what the
result looks like, then I think we need a separate specification for a
proper markup language for mail - independent of RichText. I agree 100%
with Eric's critisism on RichText. If it is too late to change MIME,
then let's put it in another spec.

I volunteer to write it.

I would like to hear about others interested in this and especially
about others who feel "foreign" characters should be done using the
ISO 8879 entity mechanism (instead of "quoted printable" or whatever)
in headers too!  Send me mail.

ttl